The Competition | DeviantArt

The website Deviant Art offers a place where people can upload their art under a user login. It is possible to watermark your artwork so that theft is harder. It is also possible for people to buy prints and other items with the art printed on it, such as calendars and mugs.

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 14.37.31

Deviant Art also offers a premium membership called a “core membership” with this, users can enjoy an ad free website, a 10% discount in the art store and the option to set the price for your artwork as you see fit.

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 14.41.03

Many users already use Deviant Art as a platform to gain commissions.  However there are a few things that my website will have the Deviant Art doesn’t have and a few things I aim to do better than this website.

In my website there will be no ads even if the user isn’t logged on. This is to do manly with the design of the website. I want my site to be as streamlined and easy to use as possible. In comparison, deviantart has a lot of buttons that do the same thing and two separate search bars

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 14.46.18I have been using this website on and off for 10 years and I still am not completely comfortable with how it works or what certain functions do. Also I have known it to slow down a lot when loading images and have annoying sounds start due to the adverts. I wish to avoid this with my website as I want people to be focused on the art not adverts.

Unlike deviant art my website requires a membership from all those who upload art on the website. This is to support the website but also to maintain the secondary function of the site as a Union for artists.

This entry was posted in Research. Bookmark the permalink.